Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bring your "No-Doze" when watching Yankees-Red Sox

Hello friends,
I'm getting ready for Yankees-Red Sox part deux. But I'm not sure if my body is going to make it. You may recall these two teams opened the season with a three game set at Fenway. The three games averaged 3 hours, 40 minutes. The extended length of the three games prompted umpire Joe West to say it was "pathetic and embarrassing." Major League Baseball has attempted to quicken the pace of its games since early last decade but its not working. The goal is to play a nine-inning, non-nationally televised, routine baseball game in about two hours, 30 minutes. Good luck. West said the Yankees and Red Sox are two teams that "don't try to pick up the pace." Since 2002, their nine-inning games have averaged 3:18, as much as 32 minutes longer than the baseball average. Derek Jeter steps outside the batters box after every pitch. Jeter, as is his custom, holds out his right hand looking for timeout and it's almost always granted. But there is nothing to prevent an umpire from denying Jeter's request. I'm not picking on Jeter, but it's clear he operates on his own clock. It's up to the umpires to speed up play. But they aren't doing it. Starting Friday night, expect another series of plus-three hour baseball games. I have no problem with it. For me, more baseball is better baseball. But I think I'm in the minority. Most people want to watch baseball games in a reasonable amount of time. There's nothing reasonable about the length of games between the Yankees and Red Sox. But for me, I figure if they're going to play it, I might as well watch it.

1 comment:

  1. Good points on the time element Dan. For me Yankee/Red Sox is timeless... doesn't matter how long, it will be a bitter contest to the end with no quarter given.

    ReplyDelete